Some years ago while I was standing near the altar as a Eucharistic Minister, I felt an incredible cloud of heat emanating from the priest/altar area as the priest was praying over the bread and wine. I felt the heat with my hands; it was like the radiant heat from an open fire-place. On another occasion I was standing outside after Mass talking with the priest when, suddenly, I felt a gentle heat sensation reverberate from my chest up and outwards.
These experiences did contribute to my faith. I felt humbled and truly blessed at the time. I felt that I experienced God in a very special way, but I don’t know why. I don’t think I became more generous. I think I became braver and more accepting of things in life.
I like to pray that people who are sick and dying will experience the same feeling that I felt because I think it’s like God holding out His hand to them, so that they will feel at peace, can escape any pain they may be feeling and be secure about dying.
Overall, I don’t understand what these episodes mean, but I try to live my life for others and to be open to the possibility of a mission in life.
- Chapter 1: How the Eucharist Evolved
- Chapter 2: Preparation to Opening Prayer
- Chapter 3: Liturgy of the Word, Creed, Intercessions
- Chapter 4: Preparation of the Gifts
- Chapter 5: Liturgy of the Eucharist
- Chapter 6: Communion and Dismissal
- Chapter 7: The Post-Eucharist Mission
- Chapter 8: The Abiding Presence
- Chapter 9: Prayer before the Blessed Sacrament
- Chapter 10: Eucharist and Reconciliation
- Chapter 11: Eucharist as Nourishment
- Chapter 12: Eucharist as Transformation
- Chapter 13: Eucharist and Covenant
- Chapter 14: Eucharist and Sacrifice
- Chapter 15: Eucharist as Memorial
- Chapter 16: Eucharist and Hope
- Chapter 17: Eucharist and Ecumenism
- Chapter 18: Eucharist and the Cosmos
- Chapter 19: Eucharist and Mystery
- Chapter 20: Eucharist and Living Simply
- Chapter 21: Conclusion
- Appendix: Eucharistic Prayers
- Witness Stories
- Further Reading
- The Author
- Copyright Notice
Contact Frank O’Dea SSS
Comments, queries and feedback are welcome! Please complete the contact form below:
To print from this e-book, click the 'Print' button at the bottom of each page.
- 226,164 page views